The rhubarb season is slowing down just as the strawberry season is picking up here in southeast Wisconsin, making mid-June the perfect window for making all your strawberry rhubarb desserts. Here’s a recipe for strawberry rhubarb muffins–both of which are likely to be found at our next market on 6/18!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped rhubarb
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries, plus three strawberries to make garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease muffin pan.
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg, milk, and oil in a separate bowl, then mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Gently fold chopped rhubarb and chopped strawberries into batter, then fill muffin molds 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Quarter the remaining three strawberries–this should give you twelve segments. Garnish the top of each muffin with a segment and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Allow tops to become golden brown, but remember that the muffins will be moist due to all the delicious fruit in them.